Chora's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limbic system

2 posters

Go down

Limbic system Empty Re: Limbic system

Post by smash016 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:40 am

Credit where credit is due, he does know what he's talking about.

Still I feel his ideas are far from perfect or complete, taken as a real-life, scientific account. He's filling in lots of blanks, something we get criticized for. And I'm not really seeing his point.

Well, check the topic if you want to know everything.
smash016
smash016
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smash016 Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:03 am

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Yes, I have a degree in psychology and what we are discussing has been treated comprehensively in my classes. What both BW and Spotlessvoid are saying about it, is perfectly fine for a sci-fi universe, but nothing more. It's a super-simplified version of reality.

Concerning Shepard -- what Spotless is suggesting is that an extremely fundamental brain function is manipulated by the Reapers. Something that cannot be overridden by a more or less dominant limbic system, because individual variance is never that large. In other words, Shepard would need a brain that differs hugely from a normal, healthy human brain. Which for all we know, could be Shepard's supposed engineered anomaly -- but that's not what Spotless is thinking about, obviously.

Also, the game just mentions the limbic system in the Codex. Everything else about it is tacked on by Spotless.

Neurologically speaking, there's so many things wrong with what he's saying I won't list it all. But as one example -- if Reapers reinforce certain higher thoughts by the extremely timely release of neurotransmitters (chemicals), they first have to know what we're thinking at the exact same time, right? So how are they reading our minds? Higher thought certainly does not occur in the limbic system.

Btw, Shepard is space-magically resurrected in ME2. There's no denying that. Most people believe that if anything, it's made possible by Cerberus using Reaper tech, as Reapers are capable of reanimating corpses and a Renegade Shepard shows scars that hint at Reaper tech. So, if that's really the case, Shepard has actual Reaper tech and as such would be technically able to indoctrinate just like the Reapers. At least starting in ME2.
smash016
smash016
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vlad78 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Ok forget about it, I've just seen your answer.

Sorry. Very Happy Very Happy

vlad78

Back to top Go down

Limbic system Empty Limbic system

Post by vlad78 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 pm

I have to confess at first sight I like the limbic system theory even if doesnt explain everything. (I especially like the part about shep having a limbic system less developped which would explain his higher self control.)

BUT...

I don't like the way spotlessvoid is rebuffing you.

AND ...

I'm absolutely not qualified to express any educated opinion over this matter.

AND ... I won't take their word for truth unless checking by myself. (even if I'm certain Doomsday doesn't seem to be the type of upholding somebody else's opinion just for the fn of it)

Didn't you say at some point you were studying psychology or am I deluding myself (or making a confusion with someone else)?

What's your educated opinion on the matter.

vlad78

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum